Sunday, August 28, 2011

Garden




Despite the best efforts of the weeds to outgrow anything I have planted this year, the garden is doing quite well. I never find the time I would like to work in the garden and the yard, but it has been fun this summer. I planted corn, carrots, red potatoes, buttercup squash, acorn squash, and sunflowers. I also have strawberries and raspberries I planted last year. The corn is just about ready, and I have been eating berries, carrots and potatoes already. Here are a few pictures of what things look like right now. The mare behind the fence is my horse I got this spring. She is a seven year old quarter horse.


I am going on a ride Friday with some co-workers. We have been trying to find a day all summer, so I am quite excited to go.


With fall just around the corner, I decided that I had better get my wood cut up and split for the winter. I have a wood burning stove in the basement that heats most of the house. I got up at 5:30 to get an early start so that I was not working in 95 degree weather. I filled my pickup with firewood, then cut 40 pine corral poles and put them on the trailer. I got home and cut and split the load of wood I had just cut. Kattie and Natasha were nice enough to stack it all for me. Neither of them would let me take a picture of them in action, so I took this one of Kattie anyway. It would appear that she didn't want me to take her picture. Anyway, I appreciate their help very much. Once I showed them how to stack the end of the pile so that it was straight and neat, they did a great job!



No comments:

Post a Comment